... Wind Advisory remains in effect from 3 PM this afternoon to
5 am PDT Friday...
* timing: winds increase this afternoon. Valleys will see
strongest wind gusts this evening, while foothill areas will
continue to be gusty through early Friday morning.
* Winds: southwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph. Gusts up
to 70 mph are possible in wind prone locations such as the
Highway 395 corridor between Susanville and Doyle.
* Impacts: strong, possibly damaging winds are possible. High
profile vehicles should avoid wind prone areas such as Highway
395 from Susanville to the Nevada- California border. Winds
could be strong enough to push your vehicle out of your travel
Lane. Check with ndot or caltrans for the latest Road
Secure loose outdoor items such as patio furniture and trash cans
before winds increase which could blow these items away. The best
thing to do is prepare ahead of time by making sure you have
extra food and water on hand, flashlights with spare batteries
and/or candles in the event of a power outage.
Severe Weather Get Mobile & Email Alerts
Northern Washoe County Severe Watches & Warnings NOAA Weather Radio
Watches & Warnings
Issued: 9:17 AM PDT Oct. 19, 2017 – National Weather Service
Fire Weather Warning
Issued: 6:05 AM PDT Oct. 19, 2017 – National Weather Service
... Red flag warning in effect until 6 PM PDT this evening for
gusty winds and low humidity for the Tahoe basin east into western
Pershing and Churchill counties including the Sierra front...
The National Weather Service in Reno has issued a red flag
warning for gusty winds and low humidity, which is in effect
until 6 PM PDT this evening.
* Affected area... fire zone 272 greater Lake Tahoe area, fire
zone 450 western Nevada Sierra front and fire zone 453 west
central Nevada basin and range.
* Winds... southwest winds increasing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts to
40 mph by late morning. Local gusts of 45 to 50 mph this
afternoon in wind prone areas.
* Humidity... 10 to 20% this morning. Rising above 30% around
* Duration... 3 to 6 hours, locally up to 9 hours in wind prone
* Impacts... the combination of gusty winds and low humidity can
cause fire to rapidly grow in size and intensity.
Avoid outdoor activities that can cause a spark near dry
vegetation, such as yard work, target shooting, or campfires.
Follow local fire restrictions. Check weather.Gov/Reno for
updates and livingwithfire.Info for preparedness tips.