... High Wind Warning now in effect until 5 am MST Saturday...
* location... the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, central and northeast
Highlands, Raton ridge/Johnson Mesa and Union County.
* Winds... west 35 to 45 mph with gusts up to 60 mph, becoming
* Timing... high winds will continue to be a threat well into the
night, diminishing before daybreak.
* Visibility... no significant restrictions, briefly dropping to 3
to 5 miles in blowing dust.
* Local impacts... strong cross winds will make travel difficult
along north to south oriented roadways and exposed areas on
ridge tops. Damage to trees, power lines, light weight objects,
and weakened structures is possible from these winds. Snow over
the Sangre de Cristo Mountains could accumulate a couple of
inches overnight above 8500 feet, with blowing snow reducing the
visibility to under 1 mile at times.
Remember, a High Wind Warning means damaging winds are imminent
or highly likely. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or
gusts of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.
Severe Weather Get Mobile & Email Alerts
East Slopes Sangre de Cristo Mountains Severe Watches & Warnings NOAA Weather Radio
Watches & Warnings
High Wind Warning
Issued: 2:59 PM MST Nov. 17, 2017 – National Weather Service